Old October 3rd 03, 06:22 AM
Les Matheson

When I was still on active duty, we were doing some navigation experiments
with moving map technology in the MC-130E. Basically we took a handheld
Garmin GPS and cabled it to two Dell laptops running a flight planning
program. Additionally we did some radio tie-ins to get real time e-mail
over HF for inflight updates. besides text, we pushed photos from plane to
ground, plane to plane and ground to plane. All was commercial software,
and except for the secure HF radio it was commercial hardware.
--
Les
F-4C(WW),D,E,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-130E EWO (ret)

"John Penta" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:06:09 -0500, "tscottme"
wrote:

Bill Silvey wrote in message
m...
Hey all...

Has there been a move towards using consumer goods, particularly
electronics, on military a/c? I was watching something about the

AWACS
recently and I thought to myself "I wonder how those systems are all
networked." - which set the ball rolling and I began to wonder if

indeed
there were coax or RJ45 connectors someplace underneath all of that

leading
into 10/100 or 10BaseT network cards.