Old November 5th 04, 07:00 PM
Steve Hill

I have done this many times...I live on a private airport and many mid-week
soaring days found me and my good buddy ( ie towpilot) having to figure out
how to safely accomplish this...On grass it's a no brainer. I take about a
36" piece of
1" x 1" wood, poke it into the grass directly under the wing tip perhaps 6
inches inboard, a piece of duct tape over the sawn end keep gelcoat from
being damaged. basically you get everything ready hook up...set the wing on
the stick close the canopy and go...I have only done it using a radio for
verbal communication with the towpilot. I operated my DG this way numerous
times when the engine was out, and I have operated two other sailplanes the
same way. Make sure the stick is of a length to hold the wings approximately
level slightly low to the windward side is best and then aggressively start
the two...never yet dropped a wing. I always start with spoiler open to
maximize roll control early...the DG only has a CG hook.

Steve.