Old June 23rd 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Default Region 9 day 1 Std Class

On Friday, June 20, 2014 7:40:44 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
On a day when all but one competitor did not attempt the task, apparently due to thunderstorms, one competitor completes it and takes 1000 points. The contest is pretty much over. Are we rewarding the right behavior? Why wasn't the day devalued?

Comments invited especially from the Std class pilots and also the rules guys.

Andy (GY)

This is a good question posted by Andy.

Several Moriarty based local heavy hitters did not start.
Looking at the score sheet only 3 out of 13 Sports Class pilots went out on course.
Only 4 of 7 15 meter guys.
Only 1 in Standard Class departed.

The nasty weather + the high desert boondock terrain was clearly a major issue.

So with the scoring system, as we have it, for the majority of the field, on the 1st day of the contest, it was over. One, only one very brave Standard guy goes and hes gets a 1000 pts, 2nd place zero......bizarre to say the least.

One way to address this issue is to be able to "drop your lowest score".

There is a helluva lot of luck in gliding contests. A lot of skill, but the bad luck factor is such a drag. ask me sometime how I know!

The last day at the 18 Meter Nats in Minden, 3 heavy hitters had some bad luck on the last day did not complete the task and got creamed in the scores as a result. Is this what we want?
At least it happened to them on the last day not the first.

I want to be able to Go For It, when it is reasonable and good conditions are present. Being able to fly harder, knowing that if I land out, I'm not out of the contest. As it is now if you land out, or don't score for weather reasons
[ like huge t-storms, lightning, rain, huge wind events etc etc], electrical failure, o2 failure, etc ONE DAY in a contest you are done.
I want to be able to stand down on a dangerous day and not feel like I have to put it all on the line for some contest.

Then there is the side issue of having to compete on the same task/score sheet with guys with engines! Weather goes to pot and Pop! out comes a propeller!
Sorry to bring it up.

What is wrong with being able to drop a day?

I think it would make contests more fun and and relaxing; that is what 99% of my friends are into it for. Fun.
And it would at least partially address the bizarre scoring debacle that happened in Moriarty.

Nick Kennedy
[ T ]