Old September 19th 03, 08:57 PM
Red

There is a lot more to a "Hurrivac" than just flying away somewhere for a
little liberty. Every Navy and Marine unit has to have a comprehensive
"Weather Plan". I imagine that the Army and Air Force does also. These may
be broken down into separate plans for Hot Weather, Cold weather, Foul
Weather as the situation and location requires.

As we are talking about Hurrivacs, this would come under a units Foul
Weather Plan. They are written to cover every contingency, so that even the
greenest nugget that caught the duty on a Holiday can accomplish the
required tasks. The Duty Officer/Chief/NCO whoever will have a copy with
their duty orders.

Some of the things included in these orders, are who will notify who, of
what, and when they will do it. As far as the moving of aircraft this is
usually ordered and definitely approved at Lant/Pac level with concurrence
of the Joint Chiefs (As Fleet and Marine aircraft are Combat Assets their
status and locations are reported as part of a units readiness, you don't
just move them around as you feel like. I am not sure about a training
command like Pensacola etc.) Once it has been determined that the aircraft
will be moved it is usually left to the Wing/CAG/Station etc to say when to
execute the move. Higher commands will say you have permission to move at or
after such and such a time, keep us notified. Then you don't just let
Maverick go where ever he wants to. Most times the aircraft are sent to
bases/stations that they have traditionally gone to. Not because its always
been done this way, but because it has been proven by experience that these
are the best places to send and protect the aircraft.

But that isn't the end. You can't load up the facilities and take them with
you. Personnel remain behind to secure the buildings, and equipment etc.
Sometimes many of these people may be evacuated also, but usually a number
of personnel remain to look after things.

I was at Key West once when we just about abandoned the base due to a
hurricane. Maybe 35 people stayed. At Atsigu and Yokuska, most people that
didn't fly away with the aircraft or sail away with the ships stayed. Same
was true for Jax.

I was still at DOD (but getting ready to retire) when Hurricane Andrew hit
Florida. Homestead, was almost completely evacuated of all personnel. All
non-essentual personnel and all dependents had left, before the hurricane.
The only aircraft that remained was an F-4 gate guard that made its last
flight during the storm, (about 50 feet) and at least one F-16 (that's all I
remember) in a hanger, which was destroyed with the hanger. After the storm
the remaining personnel were evacuated and replacements (Air Police) were
brought in from other bases. I went down to Homestead right after the all
clear was sounded for a look around, but that's a different story, for
another time.