Old September 12th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

Default aircraft as weapons platform

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Eunometic
wrote:

On Sep 12, 12:09*am, Ed Rasimus wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:40:02 -0500, grasshopper

wrote:
Has any military experimented with vertically launching missiles from
the back of an aircraft for 360 degree targets?

Think missile sub concept......

The AGM-78 Standard ARM was programmable by the Weasel Bear and could
be directed toward emitters in any quadrant. On launch it *cleared the
aircraft forward then turned upward to apex at over 100,000 feet. In
about 90 seconds it would come back down and follow the programming to
the memorized location, re-acquiring the emitter in the process.

Was this to add a harassment or loiter capability, extend range or
allow a top view of the radar (aka the UK ALARM)?

In the SAM suppression mission you don't get the luxury of keeping all
of the sites in front of you. Occasionally you get in the "Dr. Pepper"
situation with threats at "10, 2 and 4."--That's a reference to a US
soft drink slogan.

The Standard ARM was broad band programmable from the aircraft, so it
could be launched against EW, GCI, SAMs, etc. If you were supporting
on ingress, you might bypass a threat before he started emitting. Then
the missile could still be employed without necessity of turning back
and abandoning the force you were supporting.

Almost got hit by one on the way down during one mission.

Did you forget to turn?

The missile didn't care where we were and no one had anticipated that
it would select a flight path that would again intersect with our own.
It was a shock, since most of our threat scan was downward against
enemy missiles, not one of our own. It passed between me (#3 in an
F-4E and the Weasel in an F-105G. Unavoidable in the circumstances,
but not pleasant.
Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
www.thundertales.blogspot.com