Old February 7th 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jose Lima

Default Surfing and Soaring?

From Portugal, 42 years young

I´ve been surfing for 30 years and gliding for 8 (flying a DG 808 in
Spain and Portugal)

Gliding and surfing have 2 essencial things in common:
- they both use the forces of nature (fluids, sea and air) to glide, so,
as said before, you need to adapt and recognize what the atmosfere
or the sea are doing to extract the most of it, if you don´t do it you
land out or you don´t catch waves;

- wave and ridge flying is surfing in a glider, and surfing in a wave is
gliding in a surfboard.

I´m sure that the surfing experience helped me a lot in the gliding,
on the attention you need to have to recognize where the energy
sources are and on the finesse and suppless you must have to don´t
waste energy and don´t create drag while piloting.

You schould try surfing if you never did it, and never forget that the
best surfer is the one enjoying the most, not the one that has the
best technic or is winning everything (even if you are a beginner
that just learn to stand up on a surfboard).

Come to surf in Portugal and fly in Fuentemilanos, I will be more
than glad to help you around

Cheer

Jose Pires de Lima

At 23:00 03 February 2019, Nick Kennedy wrote:
IMHO Surfing doesn't have anything in common with Soaring,

nada, zilch.
Completely different environments and experiences, and

participants.

I've got in 52 years of surfing now.

33 years Hang Gliding.

22 years Soaring.