Old September 15th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Mxsmanic wrote:

I don't know if such devices are available for commodity simulators
like MSFS; there is no fundamental technical obstacle to employing
them, and perhaps someone out there is building them.

Head tracking equipment for the PC that works in MSFS and many other
programs do exist. With out it flight simulators are extremely boring
to me. You really need to look into them, they increase the level of
realism by an order of magnitude. The one I have is called TrackIR.
I'm sure there are others out there, but I don't know what they are.
The TrackIR works by using an inferred camera that you put over your
monitor and point it at your head. The low end version that I use comes
with a set of silver stickers that the inferred camera picks up really
well and tracks. You just stick them on a hat and go. Then it
exaggerates your head movements in the game, so say 10 degrees of
movement of your real head translates to 120 degrees of movement for the
game head. The first 3 or 4 times you use it, you will probably get a
head ache, but after you get used to it, the head aches stop. By the
way, the 10 to 120 degree numbers were just made up, the real ratio is
configurable with a little utility that shows your head on one side and
the game head on the other side so you can see what how much it moves.
They have a higher end version that not only tracks which way your head
is pointing but it also tracks movement from side to side, forward and
backward up and down and side to side tilt (think roll here). The basic
version just does pitch and yaw, which does work well. A friend has the
more advanced version and tells me he has to turn off the roll feature
because it becomes to disorienting while flying, but he does like using
the full functionality in the Nascar simulator.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy