Old September 23rd 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fredsez

Default iPhone in a glider?

On Sep 18, 12:32*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
Has anyone thought about applications for the iPhone 3G platform in a
glider? *It has an excellent sunlight readable screen with touch
interface that causes no loss of image quality. *It has an
accelerometer built in, a GPS that is probably better than spot,
wireless for speech commands, remote interfaces, etc. fast processor,
lots of ram for large maps and gesture recognition for panning,
zooming, etc. *Web access (where available) for a quick weather update
before launch. *Seems like an opportunity waiting to happen...

Come up with some good ideas, and maybe I will implement one!

Matt Herron
GlidePlan Inc.http://www.glideplan.com

What the hell, there are so many rules and regulations that the rule
makers are lost. I climb 9,000 ft mountains near a 16 million
population, and my phone will probably blast them all. I am not in an
aircraft, so I'm legal, but I might as well be. I fly over the same
mtns and would like to have the ability to have someone be able to
track my position by GPS. My granddaughter landed in the big nasty
mountains and spent the night in "God knew nowhere". She managed a
safe landing but search and rescue had to be called. If the highly
respected geniuses can create a thing like B Baum describes, surely
some one can figure that it would save lives and money in search and
rescue. Better than an ELT. Think about the search for Faucett last
year.
Let's pray that progress continues and is not stopped by some dumb ass
legislator that likes to make rules. F Robinson.