Old April 6th 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Jensen

Default state tax question

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 7:01:07 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 12:30:12 PM UTC-7, Del Jensen wrote:
You guys are probably tired of these kinds of questions, but I have been searching the web and haven't found the answer to my situation.

I recently purchased a glider in AZ, where I intend to keep it and fly it. I am a Utah resident, and the bill of sale and FAA registration so indicate.

My intention is to pay the AZ sales tax, along with state registration. Will this trigger a beef with Utah? Can one be obliged to pay sales tax to two states, simply because one has primary residence in a different state than that where a purchased asset is located and utilized?

Many thanks for any insight on this.

Del

Del,

If you purchased your glider from an individual as opposed to a business, there will be no sales tax in Arizona. You need to register it in AZ and it will cost you $25 a year.

Thanks, guys. I started to worry after reading some war stories out there where people were getting hit for multiple tax bills after buying aircraft.

I've already been in touch with my FSDO. Since the glider isn't changing its home airport, it looks like all I'll have to do is file a program letter.. The rest of the airworthiness certificate stays in place. Thanks for the reminder on state registration - I'll have to register both glider and trailer.