Old December 18th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Safety of homebuild Helicopters

JohnO: I think it was an exposure kind of thing. When he took a look at
engine reliabilty in turbines compared to his experience with experimental
piston engines and coupled that with being able to pick your weather days
flying experimentals vs take-it-as it comes as well as night flights over
really nasty terrain and having a strong need to get there because of life
saving situations; the flying would, I think, get a lot more hazardous than
just flying an experimental helo. Hell, I really didn't like the night
cross country I had to do for my helo add-on and that was good weather over
the LA basin. Great horizon reference available. I can't imagine flying at
night, into unknown weather, over whatever with trees, power lines etc. I
would hear every bearing in the engine and transmission just hollering.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"JohnO" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
JohnO This doesn't directly address your question but does relate. We

know
a guy who just finished a year of MedEvac flying in a 206L and had

previous
experience flying and instructin in homebuilt helicopters. He has

returned
to flying the homebuilt variety feeling that it is safer. This is one

man's
experience.

Why did he feel it was safer? Was it because he did his own maintenance?