Old February 24th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default Safety Pilot restrictions by the Insurance Company?

In article ,
Mark Hansen wrote:

I belong to a flying club. Of the many club rules, one is that the
pilot acting as PIC must be a club member. I can certainly see where
this is necessary.

However, the Chief Pilot for the club claims that the insurance
company is requiring that a safety pilot for IFR practice must also
be a club member, even when the safety pilot will *not* be acting
as PIC.

I was told that the reason behind this is that in the event of an
accident/incident, the insurance company doesn't want anyone who
was acting as a required crew member to be a non club member.

Is this normal for an insurance restriction like this? It seems to
me that this is just making it harder for the IR pilot to practice.

Thanks,

Ask your chief pilot to show you the policy. That's the only way to know
for sure.

Actually, I'm sure that in the event of accident, the insurance company
more certainly DOES want the PIC to be somebody who's not covered by the
policy, because then they don't have to pay off. It's the club who doesn't
want that to happen.