Old October 22nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default Polar with spoilers extended?

Brian wrote:

Frightening? Really? It actually works very well with a bit of head
wind. Backcountry power pilots occasionally use this technique as
well.

It's a completely different thing in a power plane. (Although I wouldn't
recommend it with power planes, either.)

A short look at a typical glider polar is all that is needed to
understand why your "technique" is a no-no. If you continue using it,
then it's only a question of time that we'll hear about you in the news.