Old October 22nd 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

Default Diving to steepen approach

On Oct 22, 11:38 pm, Alastair Harrison
wrote:
Hello Tom. To be sure, if you ever need to be doing this at Aston Down
then you've got something very wrong :-)

Just so. It is a nice big target for cough inexperienced
/cough pilots.

And I take the point that it's not usually necessary to finish the
manoeuvre at ground level.

I can only claim instinctive reactions, not pre-planned
choreography, unfortunately.

I was reintroduced to the technique in the
context of winch launch failures at awkward heights and positions in
short fields. Not enough height to do a 360, and marginally high for
landing ahead. So everything had to be done pretty accurately.

I decided not to learn at other local fields for just
that kind of reason.