Old March 23rd 05, 06:12 PM
Cecil Chapman

I'm no M.D., but have you tried the weight loss first? I mean DO it as
opposed to 'I think I'll give it a go'. My BP wasn't high (I'm 44) but I
did notice the first 15 lbs I shed changed my BP rather noticably. I had
kind of got careless eating out at restaurants (Italian one's with yummy
pasta) and at one point a couple of years ago I found myself nearning 190
lbs [YIKES!] (I'm only about 5' 7''). I first moved to 175 and that was
still too much, now I'm at 167 and shooting for keeping and maintaining 155
lbs (150 -155). Anyway, when I dropped to 167 I noticed a further drop in
BP.

Pardon me for asking (but I have noticed this pattern with some docs) is
your doctor overweight?; I ask this because (in my experience anyways)
overweight doctors seem a lot less likely to propose weight loss than a
doctor that otherwise is trim and fit.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Well, I'm officially old. After watching my blood pressure slowly climb
over the last three years (strangely, the years we've owned the hotel --
coincidence? :-), my doctor has decided that my ineffective weight loss
efforts aren't going to do the trick.

Here are the facts: BP is 155/85. Weight: 197. Height: 6'. Exercise:
30 minutes every day. Family has a history of strokes and high blood
pressure.

The good doctor says the elevated BP isn't being caused by my weight,
which isn't too far out of line for a 46 year old guy. (Although losing
15 pounds would certainly help.) He has prescribed Vasotec for me, which
*is* on the AOPA's list of FAA approved medications, thankfully.

For those who have already been down this road, did this medication cause
any side effects? The doc says the most common one is a nagging cough,
for no known reason.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck