Old May 8th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CFI training materials

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
. net...
I'm working on my Commercial license at the moment as the next step
towards
my CFI. I was wondering if anyone had any CFI training materials they
might
want to part with? (or knows good sources to get).

I just got another King video catalog in the mail and there are a couple
CFI
DVD's in there, but I'm not sure I want to drop several hundred dollars
quite yet... ;-)

Thanks!

I have always recommended Bill Kershner's books as basic tools for CFI's and
have used them myself all through my tenure as a CFI. There are others of
course.
The FAA likes to see an applicant loaded down with their material so keep
that in mind as well.
I've always suggested that an applicant for the CFI rating show up for the
test with a loose-leaf binder showing the applicant's PERSONAL approach with
drawings and explanations in demonstrating ground reference maneuvers ect.
The ORIGINAL APPROACH with visuals to be used in conjunction with
explanations are encouraged in this effort.
You can start making this up now and add to it as you progress toward the
rating.
Keep in mind you can simply show up for a CFI test with the right books and
the right answers and walk out with a CFI if you get the right examiner. Or
you can walk into a very good examiner who will walk you right through the
flying stage and nail your butt to a tree if you can't demonstrate that you
are interested in being a good teacher!!!
The FAA employs a wide mix of people ranging from extremely competent
individuals to "Stepford Wives" type government robots.
I always advise applicants to prepare for both :-)
Remember, TEACHING is the key word for the CFI. Any good examiner will
concentrate highly on this area and be looking for how YOU view this aspect
of the rating. BE PREPARED to handle this!
Dudley Henriques