Old December 18th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default Tomcat in Air and Space Museum

----------
In article . com,
wrote:

I was out at the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space
Museum today (near Dulles airport) and saw their newest acquisition: an
F-14D Tomcat. This is one of the remanufactured F-14As, and it is one that
shot down a MiG in 1989.

Oddly, it does not have a MiG silhouette painted on it. Any idea why?

Anybody have a list of the preserved Tomcats? I saw one up in Kalamazoo a
few weeks ago.

I know that there an F-14B at the New England Air Museum in Windsor
Locks, CT, and an A model at the National Warplane Museum in Elmira,
NY. I believe the NEAM bird is former VF-143, but I don't know the
provenance of the other aircraft.

I've now seen several more. The Ronald Reagan Library has one. The USS
Midway museum has another. The San Diego Aerospace Museum has one. And I
think there are others on some of the other preserved carriers such as the
Intrepid.