Old May 2nd 20, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing wheel from Craggy Aero

I am a convert to the swivelling wing wheel - for me the IMI one which is beautifully designed and has a decent sized wheel unlike some others.

There are 2 factors that can make any fixed wheel twist or rock. Firstly the tight turn or on the spot rotation when if the wheel is not precisely longitudinally aligned it will twist badly. Secondly, if the wheel is not absolutely vertical then there is a castoring effect as you tow straight. This pulls the wheel in or out. On rough ground with unballasted wings it can self-correct with each bounce of the wing and wobble along. When ballasted, especially on smooth grippy hard surfaces, the cuff can't twisted sufficiently to dent the wing skin or damage a control surface - both of which I have had over the years with three different wing dolly designs on three different gliders.

A broad rigid custom fitted cuff masks the underlying concept flaw but a good swivelling wheel eliminates it. The worst designs have heavy legs, a fixed wheels, and a generic cuffs with spongy padding.