Old January 29th 18, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Hard Deck

Jon, I doubt anyone would disagree with the proposition that gliding too low over unlandable terrain is a bigger issue than guys trying for an excessively low save. The thing is that there is nothing practical to be done about excessively bold gliding (see my above post at 8:41 AM). Being excessively bold does come in every shade of grey and is not amenable to legislation.. Guys that are so afflicted, do eventually break a glider and get recalibrated. In the meantime, picking our own landout option is about the most elemental thing we do. The fact is, that, every vehicular sport has its dangerous edges.

For the 300 ft problem, the suggestion here is that we do have a way we can address that particular hazard without needing to go nuclear with new rules and constraints.