Old January 6th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

Default Glider Maintenance - Fuselage Rotisserie

At 16:52 06 January 2017, wrote:
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 8:48:47 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
After years of wandering around northern NJ temporarily occupying the

wor=
kshops and garages of club members who were kind (or stupid) enough to
loan=
out space, Aero Club Albatross (ACA) finally has a shop of our own at
Bla=
irstown airport. As the Refinisher in Chief, I'm building out the
infras=
tructure bit by bit to make sure we are well equipped for future

projects.
=
I'm looking for good examples of fuselage fixtures, especially ones

that
=
allow for the whole fuselage to be rotated at least 90 degrees either way
f=
rom vertical. =20
=20
So, does anyone have examples of a fuselage rotisserie with some photos

y=
ou can share? We already have a cradle/sling as well as solid stands.
We=
also have used a hoist from the ceiling in the past. Each of these
presen=
ts some challenges when painting, so we're looking to start fresh. Any
p=
ics, sketches, or ideas would be appreciated. We have world class
fabrica=
tors and machinists in our club, so we can go top tier - no 2x4s and
bunge=
e cords. You can email me at erik dot h dot mann @ gmail dot com
=20
Erik Mann (P3)

Someone showed some photos of an "octo roller" made from 2 sheets of
plywoo=
d that picked up front lift pins and rear pins using arms. 8 sided

allowed
=
easy rolling to desired position.=20
I don't remember where I was it. Maybe in the VSA group.
None of these is easy to spray around. For that I hang and tilt 15

degrees
=
or so with a gallon can hung on an arm off lift pins.
FWIW
UH

Somewhere there is a video of a Belgian repair shop rebuilding a broken
Arcus
They have a rig with 2 steel rings and longerons that pick up on the wing

mounts and Cardinal points.they set it to a second new arcus in it and set
the
points ,then locked it up and fitted the 2 half s of a Brocken arcus to the

same points and re build the bit in the middle
Awesome video if you can find it just build a copy