Old December 3rd 03, 09:39 PM
Mike Rapoport

You are right of course but every preasurized airplane that I am familiar
with uses air compressed by a turbocharger or turbine engine compressor
(pretty much the same thing.)

Mike
MU-2

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
If the engines aren't turbocharged how would they preasurize the cabin?

It would theoretically be possible to use any other form of air pump.

I've
never heard of such a thing, but I see no reason a turbocharger (or

turbine
engine) would be *required* for successful pressurization. For that

matter,
any kind of supercharger is probably useful for the purpose of

pressurizing
an aircraft.

Of course, then there's the question of "why bother", since without a
turbocharger, there's not a lot of incentive to fly really high where the
pressurization would be useful, nor would the plane likely be able to

climb
very far into those altitudes anyway.

In other words, yes it's almost guaranteed that a pressurized airplane

will
have turbocharged engines, but for someone that doesn't know how
pressurization systems normally work, it's a reasonable question to ask
whether the engines are pressurized or not. IMHO, of course.

Pete