Old April 25th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default Variations in soft field landings

"Maxwell" wrote in message m...
:I was taught to lift the flaps immediately upon touch down on soft field
: landings. My instructors stated getting more weight on the brakes as soon as
: possible, would facilitate a quicker stop than leaving the flaps down for
: drag, and loosing some braking power to the extra lift.
:
: However, during my last BFR, the instructor corrected me very sharply. He
: insisted you get more drag from the flaps by leaving them down until you
: slowed to taxi speed, than the benefit of more weight on the brakes.
:
: What is the general consensus of the group? Flaps up or down, after
: touchdown on a soft field landing?
:
:

Leave the flaps down for soft field so you don't dig in. Raise the flaps on asphalt or other good braking surface for
max braking performance on a short field while keeping the stick back...