Old May 14th 21, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Time to hang it up?

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 8:31:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:43:28 AM UTC-7, Mike Koerner wrote:
JJ,
I know you’re just having fun, but I’m worried someone reading your comments might walk away with a misimpression of cross-country soaring.
I know where some alternate landing sites are and keep one within glide all the time. And I keep my airspeed in the green, stay away from thunderstorms and avoid hitting mountains. So, except for the tooth decay issue, my cross-country flights are no more dangerous than local soaring.
Now, flying around in the back of an F-4 or B-52 like you used to do, that’s a whole different story.
Mike Koerner

I salute your spirit, Mike. The spirit of youth..........Actually one could say, “the spirit of soaring”, Hitchhiking on the wind!
All the best,
Pat & JJ

I like Mike's "hitchhiking on the wind" adventure of April 1984. Makes that 290 or so mile weekend trip to Minden and back seem like the early training run it was. I probably have a couple of details wrong, but 902.95 miles from Cal City to Seminole, Texas on Saturday. Secures plane. Takes bus to Odessa, Texas. Hops airline back to LA. Gets back Sunday and back at work Monday. He becomes a Father for the first time early in the week, so he and his wife and new son decide to delay retrieving the Kestrel for a couple of weeks.

Please don't stop contributing to discussions and flying, JJ. We can't afford to have you just walk away. And, Mike, keep having those grand adventures!

Steve Leonard