Old April 12th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default What's the scoop on Headsets Inc?

In a previous article, "Jim Carter" said:
I'd sure be interested in hearing other experiences good or bad, or maybe even
other recommendations for upgrading my current headset. (I'm not going to buy a
Bose or a Lightspeed, so let's not even go there...)

At Oshkosh a few years back I was going back between the various vendor
booths testing out ANR headsets - I was planning to try to stay in the
$500-$600 range. But frankly, I couldn't tell the difference between any
of them, and couldn't make up my mind. But one of the guys I travelled
with said I should just get the Headsets Inc conversion kit for my
DC10-13.4s. I don't know which end of a soldering iron is the hot end, so
I got them to install them at the booth, and it was great.

When I forget to turn them on, the first hint is that I have trouble
hearing the radio. But since I moved up to flying a Piper Lance, I never
forget to turn them on - that 300hp engine is *loud*. The auto-shutoff
has saved my battery more than once. A few times I've had to flick the on
switch on and off a few times to get it to turn on, but generally they've
been trouble free and very useful. The biggest change I noticed is that
with ANR, I'm not so sleepy after a flight.

This year I switched to an ultralight headset and passed my DCs onto my
wife, and she loves the ANR too.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Harry very carefully read the manual - four times - because Snape would