Old November 8th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
VH-UNR

Default When do controls return to neutral?

Mxsmanic wrote:
In a typical small GA aircraft, do the controls have a natural
tendency to return exactly to their neutral positions when you aren't
holding them and when you are on the ground? Do they have a tendency
to return to exactly neutral in flight if you release them in level
flight?

The reason I ask is that sometimes the controls I use in simulation
don't snap back to exactly neutral when I release them, and I'm trying
to determine whether this is more realistic or less realistic with
respect to a real aircaft.

I suppose it depends on the aircraft, but what is the usual case? And
if you happen to know how it behaves specifically on a Baron or an
A36, I'd be particularly interested to know that.

Its different for every aircraft. Generally cessnas mooneys and pipers
will return to neutral on the rudder and elevators but the aleirons
will go to trim setting. Some other aircraft will stay at last input
position, or "positive"