Old February 17th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Default gear up landing of a Piper Arrow

buttman wrote:

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/

click on "emergency response to troubled plane"

An arrow tried to bounce the plane on the runway to get the stuck
landing gear to come down, but all it did was make the other three
gear get stuck in the down position.

Wow, the follow up report is much more exciting than the landing!

A flight school mechanic & pilot wanted to try the old pull down the
gear from a truck, because they had seen that work in an Internet
video. The airport manager and sheriff dept. disagreed with that and
the end result was the mechanic getting zapped with a Stun Gun!

I would agree that such a maneuver is far too risky for the reward,
although it has paid off in the past for others. Could you fly the
airplane perfectly 6 feet over the runway in a perfect straight line
without so much of a gust moving the plane? A foot or two up or down
and you could cause a lot injury. I wouldn't want to be underneath
risking my neck and arms to find out.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=5038872