Old September 23rd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rules Committee

On Sep 22, 8:48 pm, "Karl Striedieck" wrote:

“Additionally, I believe if Sam's agenda for the sports class were
adopted we
would see the crippling of the most popular class in the US with the
further
reduction of the talent pool for selection to the club class world
competitions.“

Dear KS,

I encourage you to expound on why you think sanctioning Club Class
here in the US would act to “cripple” Sports Class.

If Club Class competes within Sports Class then any participation
change is net zero at worse—those that would otherwise have flown as a
Sports Class entrant would instead be earmarked Club Class. Either
way they are participating in the same venue. How is that a
“crippling” affect?

“Talent” pool? I personally don’t see how it makes sense for the US
to draw its global Club Class competitors from pilots having won Sport
Class flying non-qualifying gliders.

Perhaps what the rules committee should do is poll every owner of a
bona fide WGC Club Class glider to see what it is those SSA members
want to do. After all, in the big scheme of things how this matter
may affect their racing participation is really what matters. FWIW,
this Club Class glider owner welcomes a way to compete against truly
like aircraft whereby subjective handicapping is much less a factor on
the outcome, and thusly I would be compelled to compete more
frequently.

Regards,

Ray Cornay
LS-4 RD

…the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business,
engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.
But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
-"Dead Poet's Society"

fools. -Douglas Adams