Old October 7th 03, 03:04 AM
Steve B

I would not know how to address the "turbo" sustainer vs Self Launch
decision making process. For me it was a no brainer... here in Hawaii
I have no option it is either self launch or shuffleboard.

I had many of the same questions that you had... I joined the users
group for the design and followed the comments of the users. Also I
spoke with High Country Soaring which has become known as specializing
in repairing motor gliders. The technician mentioned that for a number
of reasons that stuff falls off of the 2 stroke engines mostly from
vibration issues. All of the designs work well from what I can see,
some designs will need constant maintenance or more tweeking to keep
flying than others. It appears from what I was able to research that
the ASH 26 E with the wankle engine is quite a bit less trouble.
Probably part in due to less vibration, it does have some heat issues
in some conditions but overall seems to be best of breed from what
research I have done.

I was told that when you see the quality of an ASH 26 E you will
"Know"... and yes I saw the design and for me it was apparent. I
ordered one.

By the way... when I was at Minden recently I saw a lot of self
launchers take off while I was waiting for a tow plane. I think that
they may know something.

All the ships look beautiful from the air... the closer you get to the
-26 E the prettier it gets in fact I think it is the second most
beautiful sight I have seen "my better half being the first".

Back to the sustainer issue... in marginal conditions you do have the
option of taking out the engine. I hear it takes about an hour. But in
real life I have a feeling that in light air the thermalling speed
difference of 47 kts to 51 for the higher wing loading with the engine
in place that the extra weight would not be the end of the world. I
also think that 10 minutes of power to get back up... for every down
cycle would be worth the price of admission.

Steve

"John Mason" wrote in message ...
I intend to buy a state of the art new glider and I was looking at this
choice.

My main priority is to enjoy the flying and so I want good performance, nice
handling and safe behaviour (no incipient spin tendency to keep me on edge).
I am not sure if I will loose a lot of climb performance if I go for a self
launcher as they are clearly heavier than a turbo, is the convenience worth
loosing the advantage of the low min weight? I Am flying in the UK mainly
and so small feeble thermals are the rule.

Can those who have flown these aircraft please let me have their comments
and help with my decision.

Thanks.