Old July 14th 11, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

Have you ever considered a steeply banked side slipping turn ?
You may have a high rate of descent, but the radius of turn is so
small that the duration is very short, making the height loss small,
and you do not need to increase airspeed to do it.

Gilbert

Slipping turn on low rope break???? (We are talking "just a bit above
200' rope break" right?)

No, I have never considered this........I see no benefit and some
serious problems.......

Steep turn (about 45 degrees bank)...yes......if you consider the
two major factors in the 180 turn, time and sink ......you come out
with around 45 degree bank as the optimum combination.....It will
yield the least loss of altitude......remember that you need to "roll
up" to 45 degrees and "roll out" to level....so its steep only in the
middle portion of the turn.

Airspeed should be approx the same as a "normal" pattern.....but no
time to be looking at the indicator, (has too much delay anyway) so
simply establish the "normal" nose slightly down attitude....and
coordinated turn...

But a slipping turn???? I don't want to loose excess altitude in the
turn......I want to complete the turn with the least possible loss of
altitude......once I "know I can make it" I reach for spoilers...
(like 3/4 the way thru the 180) then, on (downwind) final, use
spoiler as nesessary, and add slip if necessary....but no slip in the
turn!

Cookie