Old September 1st 03, 03:41 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
One time departing Rochester, they told me to go direct Elmira when I was
less than 500 feet off the ground and there are 2000 foot hills between me
and Elmira. So I turned to the approximate direction, and punched "GOTO"
on my handheld GPS, and followed the GPS's HSI until I climbed up high
enough to get a signal.

The 2,000' terrain is some 29 miles SE of the airport, thus well below a 40:1
departure slope. That is why the obstacle DP for the airport doesn't have a
route obstacle DP. Having said that, you are well-advised to follow the

I wasn't tallking about obstacle clearance, I was talking about being
able to recieve a navigation signal from a VOR that was hidden behind
hills.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
I find that anthropomorphism really doesn't help me deal with hardware all