Old December 22nd 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Season Passes available from Soaring NV in Minden

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 8:20:25 AM UTC-8, Joel Flamenbaum wrote:
My $0.02 on the Minden post - At the ripe young age of 76 (who'd a thunk it?)I had an "opportunity" to get back into the sport that I truly loved. I bought a used LS3a that had been completely refinished by JJ. It sparkled. Yes the times have changed much to my chagrin. It took several weeks to get the new registration (previous owner let it lapse) and I needed this to get insurance coverage. Not wanting the time to go to waste - I spent days tweaking minor things with the trailer and panel. Really anxious to fly it - rude awakening -seeking help with the rigging - found out that almost all the glider pilots at least at Minden have gone to "power" -- show up uncover ignite engine, taxi and take off. My once strong body just could not handle the rigging and derigging. -After asking several pilots to help me and being refused, the one pilot on field that day was none other than Jim Payne and his lovely wife Jane who came to my rescue after seeing me land and attempting to take the wings off. Surely they had more important things to attend to BUT without hesitation they offered advice and man (and woman) power to help out.
Now for Minden - yes those were the "good old days" - Remember Hod "expose yourself to soaring" - fast forward to NOW - I have experienced the hired hands at NV Soaring - I got free advice, free help including towing me out to the launch area and bringing me back to derig. Yes the tow cost $$ but it was money well spent. Tim Gardner was my checkout pilot which I needed after so many years being a non pilot. Tim (Perlan pilot) was superb - yes those check rides cost many $$$ but I learned much more than money could buy..
If you whiners that can afford $200,000, $300,000 or more for your glider think about what Minden and NV Soaring has to offer. Its money well spent to keep the sport alive. "Ain't nothing FREE anymore.

I might say that Truckee is an outstanding place to fly from. Really friendly people, in a beautiful place.