Old March 4th 04, 03:57 AM
WaltBJ

Guy Alcala wrote in message ...
BUFDRVR wrote:

SNIP
Some of the B47 wing failures were due to high speed low altitude

flying in turbulence. 420 KIAS down around Avon Park Range (FL) in the
summer can get real bumpy. As I remember McCoy AFB (Orlando Intl now)
got its name from a SAC brigadier who bought it, along with his crew,
as his B47 lost a wing in a LABS maneuver.
FWIW if the Bone engines are anything like the J79 at 700 KIAS they're
putting out maybe 25% more thrust than under static conditions. I have
seen the J79's fuel flow rise from about 8500 pph static to over 12000
pph going from 0 KIAS (brakes locked) to 600 KIAS at 500 feet off the
end of the runway. Even so, with the kinetic energy of 700 KIAS that
elephant should be able to leap tall buildings.
Walt BJ