Old July 21st 03, 12:38 AM
John T

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:K_DSa.107706$ye4.80571@sccrnsc01

So, I'm now thinking about one of these Compaq Ipaq/GPS combinations.

I rent. Most of the planes I rent have GPS models of one sort or another,
but some of the older planes have either LORAN or just VOR/ADF. With that
in mind, and the remote possibility of a power failure while enroute on a
long-ish XC, I wanted an independently powered GPS system.

I settled on the iPAQ/AnywhereMap system for much the same reasons as you
mentioned: color, features of the software, and usability of the PDA outside
the plane (and I use it much more outside the plane than in). I got the AWM
system with the iPAQ 3955 and Sentinel GPS receiver. The only wire I have
in the cockpit is the wire to the remote antenna and I can route that out of
the way pretty quickly when prepping for a flight. I have heard of a couple
of users that have a Bluetooth GPS receiver which eliminates all except any
extra power wires.

I purchased an external battery pack (small, 4 AA cell unit) for any really
long XC's I might take with the system, but I haven't used it, yet. I've
used the iPAQ/AWM on full screen brightness for probably the better part of
a two hour flight and still had 40% battery life left on just the internal
battery. Setting the backlight to go off after a couple of minutes gets me
even more juice.

While it is certainly an issue, sun glare can be dealt with fairly easily.
I've found that the screen protectors like WriteRight cut down the glare
*considerably*. Also, I've found the screen quite readable in all but a
couple of angles - and even then it was readable when I removed the
sunglasses. I've used the iPAQ in direct sunlight many times and I've found
its screen to be the most sun-readable I've used on any handheld/laptop
device.

I'm quite satisfied with the purchase and would recommend anybody to
seriously consider it. I've never had a problem with AWM either on the
ground (just playing with it in the car while dri...um, riding) or in flight
and I consider it a good backup system.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer