Old June 17th 04, 04:53 PM
BGMIFF

The thoughts that this ELT was "registered" I now believe were wrong. If you
want to check out this ELT, see KS, it is now in his Duo Discus!

PS. Todd......bring that Champ to Mifflin, we like tailwheel airplanes!

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
(Chris OCallaghan) wrote:

all competitors at R4S must have an ELT.

I hope no one minds if I hijack this thread slightly for a
related topic. Peter Masak's accident resulted in pretty
rapid location of the crash site. The transmitted signal
included an identifier registered to Peter. That's not a
conventional 121.5 ELT as I have in my glider. As it
happens, I recently purchased a 1946 Champ without an ELT,
and need to buy one for the airplane, so I'm weighing my
options as to what to buy and whether I should move the
glider ELT to the airplane. The glider is Experimental and
I can install what I want, the airplane is Standard.

I wonder if anyone can comment on what type of ELT system
was in Peter's aircraft. It sounds like a marine EPIRB, but
I'm not sure if they are approved for aircraft use as an
ELT. I've also heard the 121.5 signal monitoring by
satellite may be phased out, and that the higher frequency
ELT's work better to localize. Are the higher frequency
TSO'd ELT's registered to their owners?

Any info would be appreciated.
Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)