Old June 18th 04, 10:43 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Chris
OCallaghan writes
I just received a note from Lanier Frantz stating that all competitors
at R4S must have an ELT. I understand the reason for this decision,
but I question whether it will have the intended effect. I have long
been against mandatory ELT use in soaring comopetitions for one reason
only: they do not operate as advertised. While 121.5 MHz ELTs are
useful in locating a crash scene, they are nearly useless as a life
saving device. And, in fact, these units only activate properly in
about 12% of crashes.

The management of R4S

And one of the snags of this device is that they have been know to go
off accidentally.
When that happens a great bit expensive helicopter suddenly appears over
your trailer....
--
Mike Lindsay