Old June 30th 05, 11:28 AM
Graeme Cant

Bruce Hoult wrote:

IIRC, the current regulations here in NZ are that you have to renew your
license at age 75, and then at 80 and every two years after that.

My wife - who earns a living in gerontological research - recently
attended a seminar in Sydney where a NZ person stated that extensive
research showed there was no statistically significant difference in
acccident rates of older drivers between jurisdictions (worldwide,
including NZ) which proficiency tested older drivers and those which did
not. Accordingly (NZ being a rational country) it was proposed that
proficiency testing of older drivers would be abandoned and only medical
checks would be required.

The main policy problem to be sorted out before the change could be
implemented appeared to be what should be done with the redundant
examiners. I suppose they could be retrained as medical examiners...or
your gliding club could slip a free trial flight voucher into their last
pay packets...

Graeme Cant