Old July 20th 19, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Antennae

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:44:25 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 10:30:50 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
Hi Dan,

I do get different range patterns for the Flarm A&B antennae, which I have mounted on both sides of my canopy.

What I don't know is whether my Flarm is seeing a glider that's not seeing me.

But at least one of us knows about the other.

Interesting! I will have to install a second antenna (I'm grandfathered) and have a go...

It's worth having the two antennas even if the "B" antenna only receives. That fills in gaps in your reception pattern. And as far as the FLARM range report, that is ONLY using reception data - it has no way to know who can receive your transmissions, since the protocol is a blind broadcast with no acknowledgment.