Old August 6th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Default Help understanding Aspen VOR/DME approach

You get a clue from the fact that there are no straight-in minimums. Then
there is the "C" in the title. When there is no runway number, one of two
things is evident: either the runway is not aligned with the final approach
course (not in this case, of course), or the descent rate does not meet the
400-foot per mile maximum allowable descent rate. You have to circle.

Bob Gardner

"SimGuy" wrote in message
news
The plate is here-

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://.../05889VDGC.PDF

While trying to fly the approach in the sim I flew to the MAP with
relative ease but had trouble getting low enough to make the runway
without getting too hot. Looking at the plate it seems a drop of 2380'
must be made between MAFMU and the runway in a lateral distance of
1.4NM, this is a descent angle of 15 degrees!

Could someone please confirm this or help with my interpretation of
the chart. I am a PP beginning instrument training.

TIA