Old August 6th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Help understanding Aspen VOR/DME approach

Because you must be in visual conditions from the MDA and at
all time while circling. Bob Gardner gave the correct
answer. If you are fly a plane, such as a Helio Courier or
a similar STOL, you can land straight in, but most airplanes
will have to circle to land. Mountain flying is very nice
and also dangerous.

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://.../05889VDGC.PDF

| While trying to fly the approach in the sim I flew to
the MAP with
| relative ease but had trouble getting low enough to
make the runway
| without getting too hot. Looking at the plate it seems
a drop of 2380'
| must be made between MAFMU and the runway in a lateral
distance of
| 1.4NM, this is a descent angle of 15 degrees!
|
| Could someone please confirm this or help with my
interpretation of
| the chart. I am a PP beginning instrument training.
|
| TIA
|
| On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:09:35 -0700, "Bob Gardner"

| wrote:
|
| You get a clue from the fact that there are no
straight-in minimums. Then
| there is the "C" in the title. When there is no runway
number, one of two
| things is evident: either the runway is not aligned with
the final approach
| course (not in this case, of course), or the descent rate
does not meet the
| 400-foot per mile maximum allowable descent rate. You
have to circle.

| Bob Gardner
|
| (you top-posted so I moved your message)
|
| Thanks, that makes much more sense. But I have a question-
the
| circling minimum is 10,200', this applies up to the MAP
right?
| Obviously in circling the runway one would need to get
lower.