Old August 20th 03, 04:35 AM
seantrost

Gyro,
I have read about aluminum bonding as told by I believe jack lambe
(spelling?) and the consensus is that unless you are able to etch, prime and
then bond with a high quality control then bonding aluminum to aluminum is
not recomended. The cause for failure of the bond is that the bond line is
to the aluminum oxide that forms rather quickly on the surface of the
aluminum and not the base metal. therefore a weak bond and one that most
likely will fail.

As to wood to aluminum I have not a clue, I have seen aluminum plates bonded
to wood as a bearing plate and as such would really not be adversely
effected by a failure of the bond line as the bolt would hold in place at
any rate.

Fiberboard I can reasonable say will fail before t-88.

as to the flexibility the flexural modulus of t-88 is 375,000 and that would
compare with nylon at 380,000 or abs plastic at 405,000, stiff but not
really brittle.

all the best
Sean "dusting off the sawdust" Trost
"gyrobob" wrote in message
om...
Does T-88 cure to a flexible state or a brittle state?

How much flexing can it take when cured?

I know it is poor craftsmanship to glue different materials together,
but how well would it handle gluing two layers of different material
together, with the materials having different rates of expansion. For
example, plastic glued to aluminum, two different thicknesses of
aluminum glued together, fiberboard and spruce, etc.

Thanks for any info.