Old January 20th 04, 06:44 PM
Mark James Boyd

Ted Wagner wrote:
* It doesn't seem to have much air brake range ... it would make me
nervous on land-outs.

The Pegasus is about average for a standard class ship in this regard.

The PW-5 has such effective airbrakes when fully deployed, I've
never landed with them full out. I suspect there is some design
compromise between very effective (and therefore a hazard
if they deploy early on takeoff), or less effective
(and harder to control glideslope). I've read about
airbrake safety catches that won't allow extension past a
certain point (minimal) without deliberately releasing
them. This avoids the accidental deployment and PIO
if one fails to lock them for takeoff (this happened to
a PW-5 causing $4000 in tail repair).

These safeties seem like an excellent idea, although I've
never flown a ship with them.