Old October 5th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Default Dennis Wright -- Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

wrote:
Jack wrote:

You don't get a second chance to watch somebody else's money when
bags
of it disappear while you are out flying, running ropes, and shaking
hands. It doesn't matter how nice a guy you are.

I disagree with your sentiments, Jack. In fact, count me with Paul
Remde and others: I also have regrets about Dennis Wright leaving,
though it may be for the best.

I didn't agree with everything Dennis did but he impressed me with his
ability to take charge, organize, and make things happen. He did a lot
of good things for SSA and I will miss his presence, too.

I agree that based on what we have been told, he bears some
responsibility for not informing the Board sooner of the part of the
problem he'd learned. What makes me uncomfortable is that it seems
others must share that responsibility (e.g., SSA FinComm and the
Board). It's probably a necessary "housecleaning" step to change top
management when something like this happens.

You are in good company, Chip.

Though you say you disagree, you seem to echo my statement. As you say
too, a house cleaning is necessary -- because that's the way things are
properly done. Despite any wishes to the contrary, the exit of the ED is
required. There is no reason to be pleased about that in Dennis' case --
that's just the way it is. My "sentiments" -- my sympathies -- are with
all who have to bear the burdens both personal and professional of this
debacle.

The ten thousand members who never have nor would have met Dennis and
come to learn what a great guy he is, what an advocate for soaring, have
the right to expect that their ED will be aware of the weaknesses of the
system, will identify both potential and actual assaults upon its
integrity, and will act to defend the association -- all in a timely
manner. Though others may share those responsibilities and
opportunities, the ED has the spotlight and the microphone, and is the
one getting paid to do that job.

Working quietly within a flawed system, while either keeping your
fingers crossed or wearing blinders, or both, is a damn poor way to run
a railroad, a soaring club, or a national association. The membership is
not going to read up on the minutes and the bylaws and the tax filings
every month, or every quarter -- or ever, once the headlines disappear.
That's why we select others to do those things for us. And that's why,
when they screw up, they look for other work -- and no gold watch.

Jack