Old July 3rd 05, 04:17 AM
Roy Bourgeois

I owned N620Y with other partners for a few years in the late 80s. It had
been rebuilt from a wreck in New York. Performance was similar to the 1-34,
LP-49 and Blanik L-33 types.Handling was decent and the dive brakes were
excellent. Assembly was essentially the same as a 1-34 except for the
tail. Interestingly - I saw the prototype at Elmira in the late 70s and it
had a conventional tail. Somebody at Schweizer said that they had to put a
T tail on it for marketing reasons. All in all it wasn't a bad glider - It
would have made a good replacement for the 1-26 but it came on the market
too late and was too expensive.

Roy