Old December 15th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

Ian,

winch launching my Calif over 8 years on a 280 hp winch was exactly "full
power until release", and that was the only way to go.
So, in some cases this type of instructions actually does work.

Bert

"Ian" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dan G wrote:

With a K21, which winch drivers here (which includes me) are told to
give "full power all the way up" from our Oldsmobile V8.

Then with all due respect, I think your club needs to think about its
training policy for winch drivers. "Give full power all the way up" is
a recipe for disaster - it should be "Give enough power all the way up,
and don't assume that means full throttle". A good winch driver knows
how much welly to give it by the bow in the cable, the speed of the
drums and the appearance of the glider. Whacking in full throttle
without a care is as bad as giving full back stick from the start of
the launch.

If your club is training winch drivers to think about throttle position
without considering effects and training pilots to think about stick
position without considering effects, it may have to do some
fundamental thinking about flying and training. In both cases the
principle should be "Know what effect you want and use the right amount
of control to achieve it, monitoring the situation and varying inputs
as required." I would be very cautious about an organisation which
taught crude open-loop control in two separate safety-critical areas.

Please don't take this personally, because it's not so intended.

Ian