Old December 15th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Ian wrote:

It shouldn't, since an ASH-25 is a brown weak link, not a black one.
Many clubs, pilots and winch drivers ignore this, but at their peril.
When I am driving I will refuse to launch an ASH-25 unless someone I
trust will confirm to me that it has the right link in place. 60:1 does
not bring immortality.

Fair comment - I've never been in the winch or at that end when one was
launched, but it certainly seemed to need a lot of grunt to get it
moving and rotated into full climb.

Thanks. Yes, they are heavy (about 1600lbs max AUW, iirc) but the
designers have specified a brown link and I respect that. It's not as
if the damn things need to get high anyway!

Ian