Old September 3rd 03, 06:36 AM
Mark Navarre

Any words of
wisdom on the ASW-20 driver with a bent bird?
JJ Sinclair

That would be me. Words of wisdom: yes, I should have followed my own, given
during that very morning's safety meeting. That chain of events that is so
obvious in hindsight, that chain which leads to an accident, that chain which
is easily broken in the beginning if only those whispering voices of warning
are heeded early.
The field at the SE corner of the intersection of Hwy 395 and Kennedy Meadows
Rd. (about 20 miles N of Inyokern) has a landable zone, but I missed it's
centerline by about 3 feet laterally and ground looped after clipping a
creosote bush with the right wingtip. Would have been better to have landed at
Cinder Cone dry lake (10 mi N) which I left in an effort to escape from
overcast to sunlight and a possible save of the flight. Only emotional damage
to me, another lesson learned, and the glider is easily repaired. Could have
been worse....
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD