Old January 2nd 04, 05:37 AM
Mike Rapoport

I didn't design the conversion or even talk to the guy who did but consider
that there are a number or constraints:

1) Vmo (which will be the same as Vno in the piston Bonanza)
2) Mmo, does anyone even know what the maximium permissable mach number is
for a Bonanza? Probably even Beech does not.
3) Weight and balance, you can't put a huge engine out in front.
4) Fuel burn at expected altitudes (high teens) a bigger compressor takes a
lot of power to turn at low altitudes. At sea level my TPE 331s each burn
36gph idling (the props are at flat pitch..

I think (guess) that they were looking for somewhat better performance than
a turbocharged piston Bonanza across the existiong flight envelope, but not
to extend that envelope too far in either speed or altitude. If they put an
engine into the airplane that would make 300hp at FL310, they would probably
have to completely re-flight-test the airplane.

I am a little confused by your post as well. An engine can only make its
thermodynamic horsepower at sea level and ISA, so you are below that at any
flight altitude.

Mike
MU-2

wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:25:57 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

If it had more compressor capacity then we would want a larger turbine

for
more power. The real question is how high do you want to go in an
unpreasurized airplane?

Now you're confusing me. I don't expect any turboprop airplane to run
out of poop in the low teens. Max rated thermo hp isn't the issue,
it's running out of it before getting to an altitude where acceptable
gains in true airspeed are made.

The real question is how much power is available and the specific fuel
consumption in let's say between 9,000-15,000 msl.

Again, unless they've made some big changes in the powerplant, you
don't need to worry about getting too "high" unpressurised.

TC

You're a turbine guy, you should be familiar with the effects/affects
of altitude with respect to turbine temp and available power produced
at altitude.

Unless things have changed one heckuva lot since I researched one for
a customer, the turbine A36 needs one heckuva lot more compressor.

TC