Old August 12th 04, 04:19 AM
James R. Freeman

Look at:

http://www.lightminiatureaircraft.com/

Their website is under an update at the moment but you can look at the
Yahoo group. Fred and Doc have been at this since the 80s and give great
support. They have 3 models of stick and rag models that meet L.S.A. .

The Evans VP-1 and VP-2 will do a good job. You can still get the VP-1
plans from Evans or a lot of folks on the VP (Yahoo again) have a spare
unused set. Evans stopped selling the VP-2 plans but again they are not hard
to find.
Jim

"Rob Schneider" wrote in message
om...
Having been a lurker on this site for a while, I'm not sure what I'll
get as a response to this post, but here goes:

I have a long term plan to get a PPL and build a plane for cross
country travel (from South Dakota to Idaho, so it would involve flying
over the Rockies). Maybe a Dyke Delta, but this part of the plan is
so far off, things could change between now and then (and all things
considered, it may end up making more sense to rent something, too,
but at this point I'm hoping to build a second plane).

My more immediate desire is to get a Sport Pilot license and get some
stick time in a Light Sport aircraft - I want a lot of flight time
under my belt before I take the family up.

So, what I am looking for is suggestions for a good choice for a plans
built LSA, preferably wood (I've already got the tools) but I'm not
absolutely set on that factor. Since this would be the first of two
planes, it needs to be as low cost as possible (Aviation Induced
Divorce Syndrome, you know.) I want something more substancial than
an ultralight - preferably an enclosed cabin. A kit probably isn't an
option, as I'm hoping to pay for it by spreading small costs out over
time rather than putting big lumps on the credit card (excluding the
engine, of course).

I seem to like the more unconventional designs (say the Ibis, or
Barnaby, how 'bout some plans for the FacetMobile?) but in the
interest of keeping this first plane as cheap as possible, I'm
guessing I'll end up with a traditional design. I'm expecting
something along the lines of a VW power plant. Single seat is fine,
assuming I'd be able to use this thing to stay current with my
evenutal PPL. I'm in my mid thirties and plan to keep this plane for
a long time, so resale isn't a big factor.

I saw somewhere somebody built a small version of the Dyke Delta, but
apparently the plans aren't available. Too bad, as that could
dovetail nicely with my long term plans for the full size plane
(assuming it qualified as an LSA).

At any rate, basically it needs to be cheap to build, cheap to own,
and fun to fly. Off the top of my head, I've heard good and bad
things about the Volksplane, next to nothing about the Afordaplane,
and generally good things about the Pietenpol. Any advice on those
three, and any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Rob