Old June 29th 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default HID Lighting Questions

On Jun 27, 6:40*pm, Steve - KDMW wrote:
Some questions on HID lighting. I have a 1974 PA28-151 and would like
to replace my landing light (cowl mounted) with an HID light. I know
about the boom beams, but I also see that Precise Flight makes HID
lighting also, and it's about half the price of LoPresti's.

I looked at Precise Flight's installation manual and noticed that it
was written by Knots2U. In addition, it states that the lighting is
for wing mounting only and for Piper models PA24/30/39 aircraft.

A bunch of us bought them around here. The shops started installing
them until they realized the FSDO said there was no way they would
ever approve them. I know some FSDOs have been totally happy with them
but our FSDO doesn't want anything to do with them. Either call your
FSDO or have your IA call before you get into the job.

-robert