Old September 1st 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default G1000 vs Steam guages initial thoughts...

The G1000 is less expensive for a airframe manufacturer to
install. The big screens and moving maps are easy to
interpret and getting lost in the middle of an approach will
be hard to do. [As long as it works]. But when you learn to
navigate with no dials or steam gauges, you train your mind
to act as a "moving map" and you know the situation.

The pilots who learn from zero time with a glass cockpit
will have to be cross trained in some way to use the windows
and a sectional, or their partial panel procedures will be
reduced to hoping radar vectors are available to an airport,
since even in VFR, they may not be able to navigate.

The solid state gyros are the best thing IMHO, the weakness
in the small GA airplanes is the poor sensitivity and
accuracy of the gyros and the small size of the displays.
If you get to fly a King Air class airplane, with a gyro
package and displays that cost more than a new G1000 Cessna
172, you'll see 5 or 6 inch AI and HSI, in a dual
[independent] panel. It is easy to control and steady.
There is real performance monitoring of the gyros, not just
a failure on the power flag.

wrote in message
|I have just finished two concurent aircraft learning
programs

| 1)Getting my instrument currency back.
| doing some paractice, taking a IPC.
| All done in a round dial 172.
|
| 2)Getting checked out in a G1000 182.
| I've finished the King G1000 VFR and IFR course and spent
about
| 6 hours in the G1000, I've also finished theG1000 182 VFR
checkout.

| Today we went up and did some IFR work in the G1000 182.
| My prior three flights were doing some instrument practice
in the
| round dial 172.
|
| I'd been doing quite well at mastering the G1000, but
putting the
| hood on at 700 ft in the G1000 was really hard after
flying my IPC
| yesterday in a round dial 172.
|
| Holding altitude is hard the Altitude bug is too small and
the rate of
| climb indicator is such a different presentaion tha tI
find it hard to
| track.
|
| I t feels like transitioning back and froth from G1000 to
round dials
| is going to be hard.
|
| When one uses the autopilot in the G1000 182, everything
is easier,
| one has lots of time to think and the situational
awareness is
| awesome.
|
| I'm begining to believe that 90% of this is the autopilot
and that the
| super G1000 integration is not that big of a benift.
|
| The things I really like:
| 1)Rock solid autopilot.
| 2)The terrain display.
| 3)The big map situational awareness.
| 4)Traffic.
|
| If one upgraded an airplane to
|
| 1)Good autopilot
| 2)Big screen GPS with traffic and terrain
| 3)HSI
|
| I believe that you will have gaind 90% of the benifit of a
G1000 at a
| fraction of the cost
|
| One could probably get 75% of the way there with an
Autopilot S mode