Old October 15th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default OLC Scoring for 2011

On Oct 15, 12:39*pm, Tony wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:36*pm, Ramy wrote:

On Oct 14, 10:45*am, Mike the Strike wrote:

After Tucson Soaring Club's first decent cross-country flights of the
2011 OLC season, we noted a change to the scoring. *This introduces
the category "OLC Plus" that combines the OLC Classic with 0.3 of the
FAI triangle score. *The intent is to encourage cross-country triangle
flights rather than up-and-down ridge running. *OLC now apparently no
longer preserves the Classic and FAI cumulative scores, but they are
displayed on individual flight pages.

This change will be beneficial to us out west, who do mostly thermal
flying, but will discount the score of the eastern ridge runners.

Mike

It is getting worse than that. They also added draconian rules such as
that to get speed point you must release less than 15km from the
airport, thus eliminitating half of the clubs in California who often
need to tow further than 15km to get to the lift.
Also the flight details no longer showing the distance flown, only
points.
Sigh!!

Ramy

I just pulled up a flight today and it shows the distance flown for
both the "Classic" scoring and "FAI" scoring.

Personally I think a cool feature that could be added to the OLC would
be to allow member comments on flights. *Many times I've wished I
could post an attaboy or ask questions about a particular interesting
flight that I came across.- Hide quoted text -

There is no longer a running total for FAI score as it used to be.
However I think there is some sense in combining the scores. And at
least the distance will be optimized correctly without taking into a
account the penalty for the last 2 legs.
Everything is explained he
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...ssz1010#101015
It also explains the 15km limit for speed points. Apparently, pure
gliders never take more than 15km tows in Germany, so it made
perfectly sense to them to limit the start to 15km to be more "fair",
yet at the same time completely eliminating scores for many clubs in
Western US. What can I say...
Another good/bad news, depend on your point of view, is replacing the
Tuesday deadline with a sliding 48 hours window.

Ramy